Brakes can put up a big fuss when they are not performing well. Not only will they screech, they will also feel rather spongy during braking. Naturally, you do not want to wait until your brakes get to this point before you have them serviced. Brakes should be inspected on a regular basis to keep you and your family protected whilst travelling the motorways.
What Is Involved in a Brake Service Package?
If you do need brake service, reliable car repair services in Reading provide the following all-inclusive replacements or modifications:
- Replacement of the brake pads and shoes
- Replacement of the brake rotor
- Replacement of the callipers, if needed
- Flushing the brake fluid (usually done every two years or every 48,280 kilometres)
Rather than being a distance-based service, a brake service is usually performance-based. Therefore, the need for maintenance hinges on the degree of wear and tear of the brake system.
Factors that Affect Brake Wear
Brake wear is determined by the following factors:
- Driving style
- Weather conditions
- Amount of use
A brake inspection should be undertaken at intervals, such as every 16,000 kilometres or whenever you get an oil change.
How to Reduce Brake Wear
To reduce the wear and tear on your brakes, you need to avoid the following:
- Limit the time you drive on roads with numerous sharp turns and hills
- Stop riding the brakes
- Avoid heavy traffic, when braking is frequent
- Stop using cheaper brake pads or similar brake parts
If your brakes are screeching or grinding or your brake warning light is alerting you of a problem, schedule an inspection now and not later. Stay safe whilst driving by scheduling a regular maintenance and inspection programme for your brakes.